Stand Up To Racism and Care4Calais are working together to organise a Winter appeal for refugees still living in Calais and the surrounding area.
We will be collecting donations for refugees, and will take them over in a covnoy on Saturday 9 December.
Student Stand Up To Racism will be taking a student
While making donations to help refugees we call on Theresa May to act responsibly and take in the 3,000 child refugees suggested by Lord Alf Dubs, himself a survivor of the holocaust thanks to the Kindertransport.
The destruction of the “jungle” camp by French authorities has not ended the refugee crisis, only worsened conditions for refugees, including unaccompanied children. As the weather gets worse we want to make sure that those who have fled poverty and war do not face even worse conditions in France.
The British government has failed miserably to carry out its responsibilities to refugees, taking only a fraction of the unaccompanied refugee children under the Dubs amendment.
They will be taken to the Care4Calais warehouse in Calais where they are sorted by volunteers and distributed.
If any people want to join the volunteers going over there, please email email@example.com with 'Winter appeal' in the subject line.
What can you do?
– If you want to collect donated items, please bring what you can to the conference or contact us for other arrangements.
- If you want to join the student coach, contact Student Stand Up To Racism
– If you can collect money, please donate to the appeal -alll funds will go to buying supplies for those in need.
– If you can bring a cheque from a trade union or organisation, please address it to stand up to racism and we will pass the funds on.
– If you have a car or van and want to travel with our delegation, please email. We recommend the youth hostel for affordable accommodation in Calais. http://www.auberge-jeunesse-calais.com/en/.